Yup, it really has been that long!
But with the exception of the last month or two, nothing has changed. The engine came back from CAS in Northallerton, March 2016 and it sat waiting to be assembled until about October. Some drama followed, another set of bearings were purchased, and I finally got around to putting the bottom end together just before the new year. I’m not really one for new years resolutions, but a major goal for 2017 is to attend a track day in the car, just one! Baby steps..
Continue reading “13 Months”
So, with this weekend imminent, and some stern words from a friend of mine to get going already, it was time to make a start. It suddenly became even more important I got this thing going before Saturday when I realised it’s my works Christmas party on Friday night!
Anyway, first things first I removed ancillaries, such as the alternator, water pump and oil filter housing. With that done I flipped the engine upside down, being sure to grab my oil can before I did so. Minimal mess on the floor of the unit that way, saves time on clean up!
Continue reading “My First Engine Disassembly”
I borrowed a friends not so straight edge to have a see if the block was warped.
Continue reading “Flatness, or lack thereof!”
Finally got around to lifting the head off today, results weren’t all that surprising really.
Continue reading “Head off, bad news”
During the week the hardware needed to hoist the engine out of the old girl arrived, which meant I could spend Saturday morning removing the engine and hopefully bolting it to my engine stand.
Continue reading “She’s Out”
With the festive period in full swing, the weather becoming less autumnal, and more gross it was time to attack the Starlet and do something I’ve never done before, remove an engine from a car. I did try and record the majority of it to create a time lapse, but camera troubles meant that didn’t turn out the way I had hoped, ah well.
Continue reading “To The Future”
Blurry eyed, I got to work at 7am Saturday morning after dropping Lucy off at work. The guides I’d found online helped quite a lot, but for the most part it was fairly easy going and not that many parts to keep track of. I know the hard part is yet to come, building it back up is going to be an interesting and worrying experience.
Continue reading “Head removal”