Ambitious, but rubbish

I left things last week with the lofty ambition of finally getting the engine back in the car, and started for the first time, that didn’t quite happen, but I was still able to get a decent amount of work done. Mid way through last week I came to the realisation that without putting myself under a massive amount of pressure I’d not be able to get the engine in and started. But I was OK with this, I need to try and enjoy this process a little more, and not put myself under unnecessary pressure.

After some research and a back and forth with Ray at Kaaz USA (Who is very helpful!), I spoke with Coordsport here in the UK and ordered up an overhaul kit for my Kaaz LSD. The kit (71261-106) arrived early Tuesday morning, and upon opening it up I noticed it came with 12 plates, for my 8 plate LSD. Spares, at least. I had read on the internets that leaving the plates to soak in gear oil before fitting was a smart move. I wouldn’t have chance to put it back together until the weekend, so I plonked the bits I needed in a tub, and loaded them up with gear oil.

Another midweek task was moving the engine from my house to where the car is stored. With the help of a friend, we loaded it up into the boot of my daily (E39 Touring), and drove it the 3 miles across town. Reuniting the engine with the car, for the first time since 2015!

The weekend finally rolled around, and it started with me rebuilding the diff. It all went together fairly easily.

Once that was done, it was over to the unit to torque the small allen bolts to 12nm before fitting the ring gear. The ring gear required some heating up before it would fit, I used some red thread-locker on the ring gear bolts, and torqued them to 91nm.

I had worried slightly about reusing the differential bearings, but after speaking with a couple of people, it was deemed that they were still in very good condition and could be used again.

With the diff fully assembled, it was time to start cleaning the gearbox mating surfaces of old gasket. I’m certain I’ve spent just as much time preparing mating surfaces than I have assembling the entire engine and gearbox. Perhaps I’m just being too picky? But having struggled with liquid gasket in the past, I wanted to be sure everything was clean.

With the top? nice and clean it was time to do the bottom?, and load the diff into the casing.

It was then time to spend a patient 30 or possibly 60 minutes trying to get the reverse selector back in place. I found the easiest way to do this was to loosely attach it to the top housing, and then carefully put it where it needs to be. Much swearing later, I managed it, not something I’d want to do again in a hurry.

You can just about see the bit that needs to fit in the groove, I used red thread locker, and fastened the two bolts as tight as I felt necessary. Hopefully tight enough, there just wasn’t enough room to get my torque wrench in there. I left the two pieces propped open to allow me to apply some liquid gasket.

After a quick trip to buy more liquid gasket (Loctite 598), I was able to the box sealed up.

For a while now I’ve been wanting a bench grinder to aid with cleaning up bolts, I’ll have one some day! But in the mean time I’ve been using a small bristle brush and liberal amounts of brake clean.

I’ve cleaned up all the fasteners before returning them to the engine, gearbox and car.

Not where I was hoping to be, but it has meant I’ve been able to take my time, and enjoy the process a little more rather than rushing around and getting stressed.

FacebookInstagramYouTube
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s