My First Engine Disassembly

So, with this weekend imminent, and some stern words from a friend of mine to get going already, it was time to make a start. It suddenly became even more important I got this thing going before Saturday when I realised it’s my works Christmas party on Friday night!

Anyway, first things first I removed ancillaries, such as the alternator, water pump and oil filter housing. With that done I flipped the engine upside down, being sure to grab my oil can before I did so. Minimal mess on the floor of the unit that way, saves time on clean up!

I then wrestled the sump off, and my eyes were drawn to lots of weird gunk in the pickup strainer and bottom of the sump. I suspect that’s old gasket?

The small piece of metal I found in the strainer wasn’t old gasket however, worrying!

Anyway, next off came the bottom pulley which I managed to damage with the puller. It took some real wrestling to get off actually, I think in hindsight I should have heated it up a little. Do you think I’ll need a new one?

Once the pulley was off I could remove the oil pump, and it looks a little bit warn, yikes.

With the oil pump, and also the rear main seal housing removed I set about removing the pistons

I’d done quite a lot of reading and watching of how people disassemble engines, this came in useful on a number of occasions. One tip I learned was to protect the cylinder walls by covering the rod bolts, not sure if this is at all necessary, but I had some covers so thought it would be daft not to use them.

Some photos of the pistons..

1.

2.

3.

4.

To my un trained eye they all look present and correct, I can’t see any damage to ringlands or anywhere else on the pistons either, but will hold judgement until it has been looked over by a professional.

The bearings do have some discolouration, but as it’s the first time I’ve ever had an engine apart, I couldn’t tell you if that was normal or not?

Plonked it all back together to keep the elements out of it, not sure if that is necessary but it keeps it all in one piece.

I still have to remove the crank, but I can get that done on Saturday before I load the thing up into the boot of my daily and drop it off at CAS Engineering who are a North Yorkshire based engineering firm owned by a friend of a friend. Craig has asked me to bring as much as I can so he can carry out some detective work and figure out what the hell went wrong!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s