Blyton Park – Take 2

Bit of an update..

I had been doing the odd job here and there on the run up to to Blyton, but with life getting in the way, things were progressing slowly until suddenly, the 27th was here and I had to get some stuff sorted! I’ll start with the little bits I’d done over the past couple of weeks:

Thanks to Gareth and Weeman I was able to get a replacement wind deflector for the drivers side door. It was sold as in good condition without any cracks, this turned out to be a complete lie when Gareth collected it. Oh well, not the end of the world.

So I repaired the crack with a bit of epoxy and then fitted it to the car:

I had been wanting to cover the fuel system for some time, so that was the next job. Much faffing with a piece of carbon fibre later, and this is what I came up with

I also made some circle shapes to seal the cabin from the fuel tank

I’m still getting a smell of petrol when the car has been stood for a few days, which isn’t a massive surprise, the floor is like cheddar cheese, I really need to spend some time covering all the holes into the cabin with grommets and what not.

Stace was keen to get out in the car as a passenger, as was Matty, so I borrowed a seat and harness and set about fitting it to my car. The easy jobs always turn out to be a massive faff, but I got there in the end. Didn’t help that I left this to the very last minute, and had family coming along for passenger laps too, no pressure then.

With the seat in, we get it loaded onto the trailer, and after some thought decided now was the time to pop the 530’s towing cherry.

No real dramas, it did spit some oil out of somewhere though, looks like the filler cap? Weird, I’ve cleaned it up and it doesn’t seem to be getting worse.

After arriving at Blyton, Nige quickly pointed out an area of concern around the rear wheel arches. The cars trim is/was held on by some protruding screws. These hadn’t caused any issue the last time I used the car, so left them as they were. I got the sighting laps and a couple of warm up sessions in and everything was well, asked Stace if he wanted to come out, and the tyres started catching on said screws 😆

I ended up removing them and replacing them with some cable ties, but unfortunately the tyre still caught on the arch, which meant, with Matty being the exception, whenever I had anyone in the car I had to go steady as the arch was making mince meat out of my rear tyres, I should have really gotten a photograph.

Anyway, apart from that the car was faultless

Nige and I had some brilliant laps to close out the morning, very close and nothing in straight line speed between the two cars. I was impressed, but soon realised he was still on the hardest, 8 year old road tyres you have ever seen.. That was why I was gapping him slightly out of corners then. 😆

In the afternoon they put the slicks on, and it wasn’t quite as close anymore, but still a yard stick of sorts, and I now have a clear idea of what the car needs to keep up.

I spent some of the morning and early afternoon experimenting with my GoPro, first of all I struggled getting it focusing on what was going on outside the car, then after fixing that I had a wobble cam situation. Matty and I set about fixing it, the answer? About 500 cable ties..

It worked though! I’ll have to come up with a more permanent, less heath robinson solution, I already have some ideas.

More laps in the afternoon, a stint being followed and then trying to follow a very quick Matty got temperatures up to as high as I’d seen them, steady water temp, and oil of just over 100 degrees. This thinned the oil, and I lost a very small amount of oil pressure, Nige has suggested I try a different grade of oil for next time. It’s currently on 5w-40 Castrol Edge, the sump started to leak again toward the end of the day, so I’ll have to drop the oil anyway to fix that.

Temps were always a massive worry, but the problem I face is not being able to get temp into the car. I had 3/4’s of the oil cooler covered for the entire day, which bodes well, and not something I imagined I’d be faced with.

Here are some photos from the day, many thanks to Nige and Lou for taking them, they’re brilliant!

On the aforementioned session with Matty, the marshall showed the blue flag, I probably deserved it 😆

No lap times or anything like that, I totally forgot to wire in a cigar lighter, doh. I’ll have that sorted for next time, but here’s a quick video of Nige and I’s very last session. Everyone else had left, we were the only two on track at the end of the day.

Moving forward, it’s clear from following Nige that whilst my brakes didn’t fade at any point, the cheapy EBC Yellow pads I have fitted aren’t going to cut it, so I’ll hopefully replace those with some RC6E’s before the next outing. I also intend to save some weight by replacing some glass with plastic, and getting rid of things like the electric window motors which are still fitted. I’d also like to get it corner weighted at some point as well..

One further point to take away, was despite some lengthy sessions out on track the car seemed to be quite good on fuel. I had taken 80 litres of fuel with me, but I reckon I used about 55 litres for the entire day.

I’m away on holiday for a few weekends now, so it wont get touched until I return and have some spare money to spend.

As usual, big thanks to all those who have helped, Stace, Legend Stace, Nige, etc, etc :thumb:

Advertisements

One thought on “Blyton Park – Take 2

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s