Another weekend of graft

Right, I’ll try this again. I had written a lot of drivel, but my MacBook decided to shit its self so that’s now lost.

Friday I bobbed over to see Andy at Podium Prep to collect some carbon sheet and chat to him about cut offs and restrictors. I left with a clear understanding of what I need to do with my cut off, and also a turbo restrictor to send to the chap doing some other fab work for me, brill.

During the week I had wrapped and trimmed down the cabin wiring loom, I also added a 12v feed and earth for the additional fuel pump. During the week I picked up a standard pump to replace the Walbro that’s currently in the tank, I’m not sure what to run on the other side of the swirl pot. I was going to get an inline Walbro 255, but then stumbled across a Sytec unit which is 50 quid cheaper than the Walbro so that might be an avenue to pursue instead, we’ll see.

Friday afternoon I slapped in the wiring loom and mounted my ECU(s) in the passenger foot well, a couple of M6 rivnuts and some velcro later, they are sitting pretty.

I also mocked where the oil cooler was going to sit, this is what I came up with, the only option I’ve got I think. But there’s plenty of space between each cooler so we should be ok.

****ing gloves.

Saturday morning came around and I set about fitting my oil cooler sandwich jobby, not as easy as it should be really as it involves some gentle massaging of the power steering pump tensioner bracket. After removing the offending bracket I set myself up to use an angle grinder in anger for the very first time, goggles, gloves, and ear protection! A few test fits and more grinding later I got it to fit, not too bad a job if I say so myself.

Still plenty of material left so hopefully I wont have caused an issue by doing the above, I figured a replacement bracket would be much cheaper than a replacement sandwich plate if I was to make a mistake with the power tools! Anyway, here’s the sandwich plate in situ with oil temp sensor installed, fancy blue fittings and all..

Whilst I was there I figured I’d remove the standard oil pressure switch, ready for the T piece arriving so I can fit the sensor for my gauges. But I’ve got no idea how to remove it, there isn’t anything I can attach a spanner too, and it’s in too tightly for me to turn it by hand, anyone able shed any light?

After I’d recovered from my hangover on Sunday I ventured back to the workshop to carry on where I left off, first job of the day was to get my oil cooler properly mounted to the cross member. I didn’t want to solid mount it, so I farted about with some rubber grommets for a while. Initially I had it just sitting on four grommets, but I couldn’t get it tight, it just didn’t feel right. Then I remembered I had some sleeves from my old fuel filter, so set about seeing if I could make them fit. This involved widening the holes in the oil cooler, which after a bit of a test on a scrap piece of metal I decided to crack on with drilling the oil cooler.

Ended up with the above, not without a bit of drama though. I slipped and lost control of the cocking drill. This resulted in a bit of a mark down the side of the cooler and a dent. I don’t think it has been punctured, but if it has hopefully I can get it repaired. Pretty certain it’s fine, but we’ll see.

With that done and out of the way, I got a few little jobs out of the way which included removing some of the brake lines and the original brake proportioning valve from the bulkhead. Not much room to operate down there, but more than the Nissan, so I managed it without too many scraped knuckles. I also fitted a low temp water thermostat too which was fairly simple, probably piss water out of it now I’ve played with it, but fingers crossed it wont.

Would someone be able to help me understand the brake master cylinder, it has two ports 1 for front, and 1 for rear I assume. So I’ll attach the front brakes to one, and then the rears to the other through an adjustable proportioning/bias valve. Does that sound right?

I then set about undersealing all the bits that had been affected by the welding of the cage, seat mounts, etc, boring but time consuming work. With that out of the way I thought I’d have a go at making some door cards with the carbon sheet I picked up on Friday. They’re flat and quite a simple shape, so figured it would be straight forward enough, so with some masking tape, a sharpie and the original door cards I set about drawing around them.

More power tools were employed, and after some swearing at my poxy dremel which often has a mind of it’s own I ended up with door card look pieces of carbon fibre.

They need tidying up a bit on the edges and fixing in place properly, but I ran out of time so that can wait for another day. Pretty happy with how they turned out though, looks pretty neat. I’m going to add a pull handle to the drivers door so will need to carefully cut a hole into the carbon for that.

Hoping to get the lines for the oil cooler ordered this week along with some bits for the fuel system, I’ve also got the brake pipe winging it’s way via chicken post as well. It’s slowly coming together, but I still feel like I’ve got so much left to do, hopefully be ready for mapping in a few weeks.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s