A couple of weekends have passed since I updated this, last weekend was largely a failure, but this weekend was pretty productive. The only good thing to come out of last week was a pair of finished door cards and door pulls, like so..
Foam backed and rattle free, not sure they need edging, I spent quite some time sanding them smooth but it wont be too much of a job if they start to get untidy or I find them catching on things.
I had also made a start with routing and bending my brake pipes, I had to replace the rear and also the passenger side front. Once they were bent into shape, I covered them in heat shrink before popping on fittings and flaring each end. I ran into a bit of a problem on Friday after noticing the Tee piece I had bought wasn’t compatible with my ‘short’ M10 fittings, so Saturday morning I picked up some ‘long’ fittings and that solved that.
The pipes need securing and the bias adjuster will be mounted to the gear lever plastic casing eventually using some aluminium plate, I’ve made sure it doesn’t foul the gear stick, but will double check when it’s all mounted up. Ian suggested that having a bias adjuster that’s within reach is against MSA rules, but upon checking, it’s only against the rules if I can adjust brake pressure in such a way that the rear wheels see less than 25%. From what I can tell, my bias lever wont allow me to do that, but I’ll be sure to double check this as well.
I picked up an Innovate wide band gauge this weekend, so spent some time figuring out where was best to place the lambda probe in my exhaust system. Eventually settling on it just before the bulk head, about 90 cm’s away from the turbo outlet. I’ve removed that part of the exhaust now in preparation for a bung to be welded in. I was in two minds whether or not to go for a wideband, but I think it will be money well spent when it comes to mapping the car, and keeping tabs on how things are running.
With stereo and heater controls now gone, I am left with two large holes in the centre console. This afternoon I set about shaping some more carbon fibre to fill the holes and be used for mounting gauges / switch gear. The top piece will be used for 2 gauges Oil/Water Temp & Oil Pressure, but I need to pick up a 60mm hole saw before I can do that. In the mean time, I fitted the cut off switch and wideband gauge to the lower part, like so:
It’s currently being held in by hand, I’ll hopefully bond it in place the next time I can spend some time on the car. I also need some slightly longer bolts for the cut off switch, will get those ordered this week from my favourite nut and bolt shop, eBay Motors :whistle:
I haven’t referenced last weeks hose and fitting debacle in my build thread, mainly because it pissed me off so much. Moral of the story is, buy cheap, buy twice. I needed AN8 fittings and -8 hose for my oil cooler, after some thought I bought a set of 5 AN8 fittings from a supplier on, you guessed it, eBay, who to be fair to them have been very helpful. After much faffing about I ended up very confused with 5 broken fittings, stripped threads, and busted hose..
The eBay retailer agreed to take a look for me, but came back saying that they couldn’t find anything wrong with what they supplied. They did send me two brand new fittings, I guess as a bit of a sweetner. I just don’t trust them, especially not for something as critical as pressurised oil lines. They may find their way onto the cars breather system, but we’ll see.
I picked up another fitting form another supplier which I’ll be able to use for my fuel setup, and just to see, it was slightly different to what I had bought a week earlier.
I decided to have a go at assembling the hose, my ‘gucci’ ali vice jaws had arrived during the week as well, so I gave them a go. To my surprise I was able to assemble the hose fairly easily, but I woudn’t be happy until I took the hose back to pieces to inspect both fitting and hose end, well what do you know..
One fitting, with threads still intact.
One hose end, and no sign of any splitting. You can see how the cutter type fitting actually works as well, so I wont have any problem making use of this fitting, and possibly buying some others of a similar kind in the future. I did reach out to a local hose/fitting supplier who’d helped me in the past this weekend as well, he’s away to get me prices so I may well end up using him. But I feel better now I’ve been able to assemble the hose without a problem, and with relative ease.
I’m away in the big smoke this coming weekend for Katherine’s graduation, so I wont be able to spend any time on the car. But it’s a welcome break, hopefully by the following weekend I’ll have everything back from RW Developments, and I can get on with the final bits and bobs. I also have my trailer test on Wednesday of this week, fingers crossed I can pass that so I can transport the car for mapping and geo in the not too distant future.